Saturday 9 April 2011

Do Our Animals Speak to Us? (original post Feb 16, 2011)

Do our animals speak to us? I think so, if we are open and willing and able to listen to them they speak in a variety of ways. Horses are used for therapy (equine facilitated therapy: hippotherapy) and the common feedback that they give in such sessions is to blow and lick and chew in acknowledgement of congruity of emotions and alignment of energy. When on their own they will do this to release stress and tension as well.

I experienced Prowler talking to me yesterday as we were out for a walk – with all of our 6 legs – down Laska Creek Road. I was remembering quite visually the last time I rode him a little ways up the mountain here. He seemed fine and energetic and happy to be out but because of the arthritis in his back joints (hocks) I got off coming back down as I always do.  After that ride Prowler seemed very grumpy and it took me about a week to realize his lower back/spine was out again and called the chiropractor in to adjust him. And then the thought came (was it from him?) that I cannot ride him, or even walk him up and down mountains any more, that it’s too hard on his stiff joints and will be degenerative on his body rather than building muscle in his hind end which is what I had been hoping it would do. Immediately Prowler, head bobbing up and down beside me, blew and licked and chewed as if to say “YES finally you are coming into alignment with my old body’s needs!” It was a pretty powerful moment and showed me I do need to come to terms with what his body is able to do at this point if I do want to keep riding him at all. At almost 25, which is approximately 73 years of age, I definitely have a senior in my care.

Cantering is another issue for him I think and while I don’t ask him to do it much when we are playing he ALWAYS puts his ears back when he is transitioning from trot to canter. It is always hard to tell if this is simply a dominance/attitude displaying itself but now I will look/listen and respond with more care for his ageing body.

I feel strongly that when we get in alignment, first with ourselves and what is true for us, and then with another being, from that place they are then far more willing to move with us, towards us, for us, with energy, enthusiasm and joy. This is my intention in my relationship with Prowler. I certainly don’t always get it right, maybe only 70% of the time these days, but that’s part of the journey.
My horse IS my guru.

For more information google: equine facilitated therapy there’s lots of info out there!

visit www.sequoiadesign.ca for more unique photos

No comments:

Post a Comment